1. Gather supplies
As tempting as it was to get the Beaba Babycook (from Williams Sonoma for, wait for it, $199!) I decided baby food can be made with supplies I already have (and supplies that can be used for other things).
Baby food "pots" (with lids) for microwaving frozen cubes, a microwave silicone steamer, freezer containers, and spoons (all BPA free).
My pureer of choice (a food processor or blender also do the job)

2. Shop at a local farmer's market for fresh, in season foods.

The goodies at home
Grains and legumes
Left to right: ground oatmeal, chickpeas, and whole grain brown rice

Spice it up
Babies don't always need bland, boring food. After 8 months (according to most) if they have no food allergies or upset stomach, spices and new flavors can be added. Most of these yummies are from my backyard garden. Clockwise from the top: Dill, paprika pepper, cherry tomatoes, shallot, mint, ginger, rosemary, red and yellow onion, parsley, and purple basil.

3. Chop chop (and peel peel)
At first, babies need all food peeled and cooked thoroughly to avoid unnecessary nitrates, pesticides, and bacteria. Here is a sweet potato. Fruits and veggies need not be chopped this fine before steaming, but here I was making homemade "puffs" (little cubed and roasted sweet potatoes) for finger food.
4. Cook
So far I have mainly steamed the fruits and veggies (it is the best way to keep all nutrients). I recently started roasting some veggies with a little olive oil. There is no need to add salt or sugar- fruits and veggies taste great on their own!
5. Puree
Food processors and blenders are nice because babies can advance in their purees. Foe example, when Keaton was 4 months I pureed food for much longer than I do now at 8 months.
6. Portion and freeze.
Ice cube trays work well to portion and freeze purees. I use a tray with each portion about 1 ounce. That way, there is no waste when baby is just starting solids and, a they get older, you can mix a few different types of food to create new flavors.
Apricots, Pear-Melon, and Blueberries
Sweet potato, Parsnip, and Green Beans
I store the cubes in the freezer in these cute reusable containers with erasable labels :)
7. Heat and serve!
Water or breastmilk/formula can be added to make the puree a thinner consistency. I also add ground oatmeal or ice cereal to thicken a puree.