Background

2.08.2010

ZzZzZzZzZ!

I am just getting ready to doze off to bed- Dan is snoring next to me (he actually fell asleep while watching 24!) and Keaton is sleeping soundly in his crib. I just have to take this time to brag on the little guy. He is the best sleeper lately! We had our share of people asking "is he sleeping through the night yet?" and then looking with a sorry face and suggesting "maybe you need to swaddle him...maybe he needs a pacifier...maybe you aren't feeding him enough during the day...maybe you're feeding him too much...maybe he's not sleeping enough during the day...maybe he's sleeping too much..." Don't worry- I do not think his sleeping habits are a result of my perfect parenting or lack thereof (like some people obviously do). My mom helped me to realize babies aren't supposed to sleep through the night at 6 weeks! He started sleeping in the crib from week 1. I couldn't get a wink of sleep with him in the room because he made so many noises and it stressed me out! So, I figured the less habits to break the better and he sleeps in his crib (a mere 10 step away from our room). Then, we tried and tried to keep him swaddled- but even the nurses in the hospital called him Houdini! We attempted to get him to take a pacifier- which is NOT for him- he has to keep that mouth free for talking and chewing on his fists! So, here we are- only one of the 5 S's of "Happiest Baby on the Block" work for our little one :) (it's the shushing) And all of those swaddling blankets I made and pacifiers I had ready are not being put to use! But, in good news he has slept through the entire night (10-8) a few times, and many other times he has only woken once and not even to eat! Every night I put him down awake and he doesn't make a peep and falls asleep on his own! I am so impressed (and thankful for a few good night's sleeps :) So, to all you new mamas out there- there is hope!!!